Wednesday 18 November 2009

The Mirror Struggled

In a more pensive mood, I found myself writing this:


The mirror struggled

The mirror struggled; reflecting beauty such as hers
Prescribed a glory in the challenge; a fairytale
Or so to be! To shimmer back hypnotic hues
From auras of her skin – how do mirrors cope?
Hoary tales of pretty adolescent buds
Could never hope to match the tomes of dreamy
Pulchritude apprising us of such a belle as she.

The mirror shone; and as it worked itself, a moment -
Did it overlook the hidden melancholy?
Were melting eyes bedewed-? Florid lips imbued
With mournfulness? The hindrance of the silver glass!
Oh! to seek; to know the meaning of the sorrow!
She, with tearful hair, an image out of heaven,
Never opened up her heart; the mirror struggled.




Copyright Mark R Slaughter 2009

2 comments:

  1. hi, i am a high school student in chicago, illinois. i really liked your poem Fire Ferocious and would like to know a little more about it for a poetry project in my literature class. if you can, or if you even see this, send me an e-mail at alexjustice1@yahoo.com. Thanks for all of your help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Mr Slaughter, my name is Tristan and I am currently in the process of writing a short drama for one if my modules at university. The piece is an original idea that revolves around the themes of loneliness and love. As such I was wondering if I could use two of your poems, 'Alone' and 'Bitter Blow of Love' within the script. Obviously you would be given full credit for them. If you have any questions or would like to contact me please don't hesitate to email me at criscram@hotmail.com I look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete